Former UMass student Patrick Durocher, accused of raping another student in 2013, to stand trial

By Anthony Chiusano

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian

The trial of Longmeadow native Patrick Durocher, a former University of Massachusetts student accused of raping a female student on campus in 2013, will begin Jan. 19, according to a report from MassLive Thursday evening.

Durocher, 20, has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated rape, kidnapping and assault and battery. His trial is expected to last about a week, per the report.

No longer a student at the University, Durocher was reported to have allegedly raped a 19-year-old female student on Sept. 2, 2013 – the first week of his freshman year at UMass.

According to court documents, Durocher approached the female in the early hours that night and allegedly raped her on the Campus Center lawn. Assistant Northwestern District Attorney Jennifer H. Suhl, the prosecutor in the case, added that Durocher “strangled her, held her against her will and raped her on an open grass area on the UMass campus until bystanders intervened,” according to the report.

These bystanders reportedly told police that they witnessed Durocher on top of the female and that she was unconscious.

Durocher is being represented by David P. Hoose of Northampton. He has since been freed on $10,000 bail along with a GPS monitoring condition, according to MassLive.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.