Fall 2016 movie season has something for everyone

(Graphic: Anna Arscott/Daily Collegian)

The blockbuster summer movie season is behind us, and good riddance. It was one of the worst summer movie seasons in a while, filled with duds and tired sequels. The fall movie season, thankfully, is packed with promising new releases.

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” and “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” lead the way for fall tent-poles. In between there is a new comic book movie on the way, alongside promising sci-fi, mystery and action movies. Here are some of the major films to keep tabs on in the coming months.

“The Magnificent Seven”
Release Date: Sept. 23

The biggest draw of “The Magnificent Seven” is its blockbuster cast, which includes Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke. The film’s eponymous seven leads team up to defend a town against industrialist Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard) in this remake of the 1960 John Ford western of the same name. Antoine Fuqua’s in the director’s chair and “The Equalizer,” “Olympus Has Fallen” and “Shooter” offer more than enough evidence that he knows how to handle an action movie.

“Deepwater Horizon”
Release Date: Sept. 30

“Deepwater Horizon” focuses on the infamous environmental disaster that began in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, 2010 and remains the largest marine oil spill in history. Director Peter Berg and star Mark Wahlberg proved in “Lone Survivor” that they can capture the grittiness of a true story while still making an enthralling film with uniquely brave and heroic characters. Kate Hudson, Kurt Russell and John Malkovich all co-star.

“The Girl on the Train”
Release Date: Oct. 7

Based on the novel by Paula Hawkins, “The Girl on The Train” certainly looks suspenseful. Rachel Watson (Emily Blunt) is a regular train commuter until she begins investigating a mystery regarding a couple whose house she passes every day. This film will grab both fans of the novel and newcomers who aren’t familiar with the story.

“Doctor Strange”
Release Date: Nov. 4

Marvel’s next big blockbuster “Doctor Strange” looks to be the most unique entry yet in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This film focuses on comic book character Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) whose hands get destroyed in a bad accident and while on his search to find a doctor to repair his hands he obtains magical powers. Early trailers featured surreal sequences of buildings folding into each other like something right out of “Inception.”

Here’s hoping this film will feel more contained and give audiences something more interesting than the worldwide destruction and large-scale action seen in “Captain America: Civil War” and both “Avengers” movies.

“Arrival”
Release Date: Nov. 11

Alien ships appear on Earth and linguistics expert Louise Banks (Amy Adams) has to figure out their motives for interrupting earth. Director Denis Villeneuve (“Prisoners,” “Sicario”) isn’t going for popcorn fun and worldwide destruction. Instead it seems the filmmaker will focus more on the mystery of this extraterrestrial visit while creating mesmerizing visuals. Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker co-star.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”
Release Date: Nov. 18

Five years after the release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2,” J.K. Rowling brings director David Yates and audiences back to the wizarding world. “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” film will take place 70 years before Harry Potter’s adventure begins. There is a ton of mystery and intrigue in this new film and with a script written entirely by Rowling, moviegoers can expect a magical experience worthy of the “Harry Potter” series.

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”
Release Date: Dec. 16

Where to begin with this one? Coming off the high of last year’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” audiences will get yet another chance to return to a galaxy far, far away. The film is set between Episodes III and IV and Darth Vader is slated to make an appearance. While there has only been limited footage of the film released, it looks extraordinary.

Felicity Jones, Ben Mendelsohn, Forest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed star in this film and each character looks more interesting than the last. It seems the less that viewers know about “Rogue One,” the better the experience will be.

“Assassin’s Creed”
Release Date: Dec. 21

Movies based on video games seem to always disappoint. They never quite capture the nostalgia or properly translate game mechanics and characters, and often feel more like a reminder to just play the game instead.

“Assassin’s Creed,” based on the hit video game series of the same name, may finally break that mold. The early trailer contained gorgeous cinematography and great action choreography. It’s unclear if the plot will be satisfying, but the free running and parkour scenes look exhilarating and hopefully will capture the feeling one gets from playing the video game. Director Justin Kurzel and star Michael Fassbender also seem to have captured the game’s unique look.

Corey Stein can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @cstein427.