Police Log: Friday, April 13 – Sunday, April 15

A busy long weekend in Amherst

Friday, April 13, 2018

Motor Vehicle Stop

9:56 a.m.: A white 2010 Chevy Cobalt was stopped at 308 College St.

1:45 p.m.: A box truck with “HOMANS” on the side struck a pole at the intersection of East St. and College St. going eastbound on Rt. 9. The Amherst College Police Department was notified and checked the area for the vehicle. There were no injuries and no charges have been made.

2:50 p.m.: A gray 2003 Toyota Camry was issued a warning for a stop sign violation at 191 Fearing St.

4:12 p.m.: A 2008 Honda Fit was traveling south on Sunderland Rd. making a left turn onto Pine St. when a silver or tan sedan traveling north on North Pleasant St. at a high speed grazed the passenger side rear bumper. The operator of the Honda pulled into Kendrick Realty and walked to the intersection in an attempt to speak with the other driver, but they were not in the area. No detailed description of the other vehicle was given. The Honda sustained minor scratches on the rear bumper.

6:24 p.m.: A warning was issued to people in a black 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara for passengers hanging out of the roof while the vehicle was operating on Fearing St.

6:25 p.m.: The operator of a red 2010 Chevy Express was arrested and charged with OUI liquor, operation of a motor vehicle to endanger, negligent driving, failure to stop/yield and speeding at 81 Belchertown Rd. when stopped for speeding and for failing to stop at a stop sign.

7:21 p.m.: A gray 2004 Nissan Altima was issued a warning for operating at 54 mph in a 40-mph zone at 406 Pine St.

7:25 p.m.: A verbal warning was given to the operator of a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe at 103 South Pleasant St.

8:07 p.m.: A gray 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan was stopped at 893 West St. and issued a warning for not having headlights on.

10: 32 p.m.: The operator of a gray 2011 Nissan Sentra was issued a warning for defective headlights at 10 Meadow St.

Suspicious

9:57 a.m.: A complaint was forwarded to APD from someone receiving phone calls from who he thought was a person he knew. The police spoke with both parties and it turned out that the phone calls were coming from telemarketers.

5:01 p.m.: A large party was reported at 53 South Prospect St. with two males urinating on top of a roof. The party left prior to police arrival.

10:55 p.m.: A reporting party at Stackers, 57 North Pleasant St. stated that a white male between the ages of 22 to 25-years-old offered him cocaine. It appeared to the reporting party that the male was doing cocaine and told the reporting party he could get him some. While doing ID checks in the bar, officers did note that he appeared to have some cocaine around his nose. When an officer approached the man about this, he admitted to doing cocaine and willingly handed over a small amount to the officers. There are no charges at this time.

Noise Complaint

12:08 p.m.: A reporting party called about loud banging coming from the apartment above him at Apt. 95 at Presidential Apartments, 950 North Pleasant St. The noise had stopped upon police arrival. The reporting party said the people left as the police arrived. He said he has talked to Kamins Real Estate before about the problem, but feels like he’s gotten nowhere.

4:07 p.m.: A loud party on the second floor of 96 North Prospect St. was reported. There was no noise upon police arrival. Parties were walking away from the location as officers arrived at the scene.

11:02 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was a loud party with music in the back of the house at 192 Belchertown Rd. Approximately 10-12 people were talking at a cooking fire. They were advised of the complaint and of the consequences should they fail to lower the noise.

Traffic

1:25 p.m.: A reporting party called in a person on the median at the triangle at 389 North Pleasant St. The person “complied, but under protest” to requests to leave the area.

2:24 p.m.: A gray 2010 Nissan Altima was reportedly parked in the fire lane at 34 Pomeroy Ln. A parking citation was issued to the listed vehicle which was parked within 10 feet of a fire hydrant.

3:20 p.m.: A reporting party stated that 35 Northampton Rd. was having a party and children  were running in the road. The resident who registered the party was spoken to by the police. The complaint was addressed with him.

4:14 p.m.: Twenty or more college students were reported walking in the middle of the road blocking traffic at 446 Main St. Police spoke with the group who said they had chased after a bus as it pulled away. No open containers were seen.

7:49 p.m.: A reporting party was concerned about a vehicle with its hazards on and no one in it parked at 309 Amity St. The vehicle had run out of gas and the operator was waiting for gas to be brought to him.

Fraud

4:35 p.m.: A reporting party attempted to file her taxes when she found they had already been falsely filed. She is in contact with all related agencies, who required a report number be filed with local police.

5:24 p.m.: A reporting party stated that he applied for a job over the internet and fell victim to a check cashing scheme. The international UMass student said his bank accounts have been shut down, and the bank told him he cannot open another account in the U.S. for five years. He was advised to immediately cease contact with the people who sent him the checks and to contact his consulate and UMass Legal Services for further advisement to protect his identity and Visa status.

Liquor Law Violation

6:26 p.m.: A person was observed walking on Fearing Street carrying an open container of Natural Light beer. The party will be summoned for the offense — charged with having an open container of alcohol.

7:01 p.m.: Three people were walking down the sidewalk at 258 Triangle St. coming from the tailgate with open cans of beer. They said they were unaware of the open container town bylaw. All of them were found to be over 21 years old. A warning was issued and the town bylaw was explained.

7:34 p.m.: A warning was issued for a liquor law violation at 111 Fearing St.

7:35 p.m.: A warning was issued for a liquor law violation at 101 Fearing St.

Motor Vehicle Crash

6:34 p.m.: A motor vehicle versus pedestrian crash occurred at 405 Amity St. The pedestrian was crossing the street at the intersection of University Dr. and Amity St. The vehicle left the scene. The incident is under investigation, but it was non-life-threatening.

8:53 p.m.: A red 2016 Ford Edge backed into and side-swiped a gray 2013 Dodge Dart that was parked and unoccupied at 351 Northampton Rd. There were no injuries and no towing was necessary. Motor vehicle exchange forms were provided.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

7:14 p.m.: A reporting party called in erratic operation of a red 2013 Honda Odyssey at 893 West St. The vehicle was driving very slowly and swerving going southbound on Rt. 116. Police checked the area and saw no signs of the vehicle.

8:11 p.m.: A 2011 Toyota Corolla was parked in front of R&P Package Store at 505 West St. A 2009 Toyota Prius pulled into the parking lot and tried to park on the right side of the Corolla. As it was parking, the passenger of the Corolla opened the door of the vehicle and the Prius bumped into it. There was minor damage to the passenger door of the Corolla. The operator of the Prius thought there was no damage or injury and left the area to return home.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Traffic

12:35 a.m.: A reporting party stated that the stop sign at the intersection at 70 Gray St. was uprooted. Police reported that the stop sign was completely gone. A temporary stop sign was put up and a voicemail was left for Department of Public Works. A stop sign from Public Works was able to be placed at the intersection of Taylor and Gray St.

1:01 a.m.: A large number of motor vehicles were parked in the vicinity of 693 Main St., creating a traffic hazard. Police moved many of them along and advised operators that they were creating a traffic hazard.

1:43 p.m.: Reporting party complained about vehicles parking on both sides of Rt. 116 at 1500 West St. Most cars had moved from the parking area by police arrival. The reporting party was advised to speak with police to devise a plan for future issues.

2:57 p.m.: A blue 2006 Pontiac Vibe was issued a citation for parking on the wrong side of the road and in a tow zone at 17 North Hadley Rd.

6:08 p.m.: A gray 2013 Mercedes was parked blocking the travel lane at 31 North Pleasant St., making passing vehicles travel in the opposite lane. The operator was inside Antonio’s Pizza getting pizza. He was issued a parking ticket.

Motor Vehicle Stop

1 a.m.: A motor vehicle was seen without its headlights. A stop was conducted, and the operator was advised of the violation. A verbal warning was issued.

1:10 a.m.: An operator of a vehicle at 693 Main St. was arrested for operating under the influence of liquor and for operating a motor vehicle to endanger. While walking the area, police observed the operator to be asleep at the wheel. While attempting to speak with the operator and occupants, the operator started the vehicle and denied consuming any alcohol. Field sobriety tests indicated impairment.

1:11 a.m.: A black 2013 Chevy Cruze, an Uber, was parked in front of the Amherst Fire Department in the vicinity of 68 North Pleasant St., where it specifically prohibits parking in the “fire lane.” Police observed five passengers in the back seat, with two laying down on the laps of the other passengers. Another male was also observed to be drinking from an open container inside the vehicle. The operator was issued a parking citation for the fire lane violation. He was issued a warning for the remainder of the offenses.

1:15 a.m.: While patrolling Boltwood Walk, police noticed a large group of people surrounding and filming a gray 2003 Toyota Camry in the vicinity of 40 Main St. Multiple people could be seen in the rear seat of the vehicle. The trunk of the vehicle then opened, and a male was observed laying in it. A motor vehicle stop was conducted. Upon approaching the vehicle, police observed a strong odor of alcohol coming from the inside of the vehicle. Involved party stated that she had one beer. Field sobriety tests were conducted, which did not show any impairment. Everyone inside the vehicle was told to find a ride back home. The operator was then cited for impeded operation.

2:04 a.m.: A motor vehicle stop was conducted of a white 2013 Toyota Celica for improper passing on Kellogg Ave. onto N. Pleasant St. in the vicinity of 104 N. Pleasant St. A verbal warning was issued.

2:43 a.m.: A gray 2016 Mazda CX-3 was observed to be driving without its headlights on at 56 Amity St. A warning was issued, and the police advised the operator to always remember to turn on his lights prior to using his vehicles.

10:18 a.m.: A white 2005 Ford F250 was stopped and issued a verbal warning.

1:11 p.m.: A gray 2012 Honda Civic was stopped and issued a verbal warning for marked lanes.

2:26 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the registered operator of a gray 2005 Honda Civic after a motor vehicle stop.

7:55 p.m.: A black 2011 BMW 740 was issued a citation for an unregistered motor vehicle at 103 North Pleasant St. The vehicle was towed by Ernie’s Towing. Police responded to the report that the motor vehicle had no plate visible. The vehicle was found to be unregistered.

8:06 p.m.: A motor vehicle was observed to be driving through a red light at Main and South Pleasant St. in the vicinity of Amherst Cinema, 30 Amity St. A verbal warning was issued to the operator.

Noise Complaint

1:43 a.m.: Reporting party reported a house across the street from him at 8 Charles Ln. had loud individuals outside and a large amount of vehicle traffic for the past couple of hours. Upon arrival, police heard loud yelling and a large fire about three feet away from the side of the house. As police approached the residence, about 10-12 people quickly ran away. Police spoke with the resident, who was advised that some of his guests lit a large pile of cardboard next to his house in the driveway. He said that he had been trying to put it out as soon as he saw what had happened. The fire was extinguished on scene by the resident. He was issued a warning and was explained the town bylaw for unlawful noise and nuisance house by police. He was also advised of the consequences for allowing an open burn to take place on his property.

2:22 a.m.: Reporting party stated that an apartment above his and toward the back of the building at Apt. 29, Alpine Commons, 133 Belchertown Rd., had been playing a loud subwoofer. Police found that a small birthday party was taking place at the apartment. Involved party turned off the music and was explained the noise town bylaw.

8:39 p.m.: Reporting party reported loud music coming from Apt. 58, Townhouse, 50 Meadow St. Police found no ongoing noise at the apartment on arrival. Police touched base with residents, who were advised of the complaint and police findings. Police also made contact with reporting party, who also agreed that there was no ongoing noise.

8:39 p.m.: Reporting party reported loud music coming from Apt. 160C, Boulders, 188 East Hadley Rd. Police heard loud voices from the apartment. Police spoke with listed party, who admitted to playing loud music prior to police arrival. A warning was issued, and the noise town bylaw was explained.

11:09 p.m.: Loud music was coming from Apt. 160C, Boulders, 188 East Hadley Rd. There were loud voices and yelling heard upon police arrival. Upon speaking with the resident, she appeared to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and was reluctant to end the party. While speaking with the resident outside the apartment, the music turned on again and guests continued the party. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to get the resident to end the party and stop the noise, she was placed under arrest. This was the second response to the residence that evening.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

2:52 a.m.: A gray 2011 Hyundai Sonata was seen for approximately one hour running in front of Olde Towne Tavern, 1 Pray St. Upon approaching the vehicle, the driver stated he worked there and was waiting for the rest of his coworkers to finish closing up so he could take them home.

Disturbance

3:54 a.m.: Reporting party stated that a man was jumped by another man in the vicinity of Apt. 119F, Boulders, 188 East Hadley Rd. He described one male being chased by four other males. Police conducted an area search on foot and found nobody out and about. Area checks of the Boulders, Southpoint Apartments and Mill Valley Estates all came back negative.

11:51 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was a group of 10-15 individuals in front of 4 Main St. and two of the individuals were encouraged to fight. The group was gone upon police arrival.

11:58 p.m.: A female party stated she needed help at an out of control party at 675 Main St. and hung up the phone. When police attempted to call back, the call went straight to voicemail. Police performed a walk-through of the house and found no issues or any claim of distress. Residents stated there were several people trying to enter the home who were denied entry and possibly called the police in retaliation.

4:22 p.m.: Reporting party requested assistance with dispersing a large gathering of several hundred individuals at 32 Fearing St. Massachusetts State Police, Hadley Police and UMass Police were en-route to assist. UMass Transit was advised to avoid Meadow St. Amherst Police assisted in clearing the large crowd from the area and identifying the problem apartments.

Trespass

9:21 a.m.: Two individuals were removed from in front of the no trespassing sign at People’s United Bank, 25 East Pleasant St. Police removed four subjects from the property.

Motor Vehicle Crash

10:02 a.m.: There was a minor two-car motor vehicle crash involving a gray 2006 Mini Cooper and a black 2014 Subaru Forester. Both motor vehicles were in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot at 312 College St. in a line of traffic. The Mini Cooper rear-ended the Subaru Forester. No injuries were sustained, and the motor vehicles were driven from the scene.

10:35 a.m.: A minor two-car motor vehicle crash occurred in the parking lot of Auto Express, 118 South East St., involving a gray 2005 Nissan Altima and a red 2003 Toyota Corolla. The Nissan Altima was parked in front of the store. Very minor damage was reported. Reporting party called to have the incident documented.

3:27 p.m.: Reporting party reported a green or blue sedan off the road in the vicinity of 1501 West St. A blue 2017 Hyundai Accent was parked on the grass. When they tried to enter back onto the roadway, they slid down the side of an embankment. The Amherst Department of Conservation and Recreation were on the scene and advised they would assist with Ernie’s Towing.

Liquor Law Violation

2:16 p.m.: A warning was issued for liquor law violation at 1040 North Pleasant St.

3:23 p.m.: Two men were arrested in the vicinity of 995 North Pleasant St. on charges of carrying open containers of alcohol. Both parties were drinking Natural Light while on the sidewalk of North Pleasant St.

4:16 p.m.: Parties were observed with solo cups full of alcohol. Town bylaws were explained, and a warning was issued to all involved.

6:06 p.m.: Involved party at 338 College St. crossed College St. directly in front of a police cruiser with an open can of Natural Light Rush. The town bylaw and summons process was explained. Involved party was to be summoned for the open container town bylaw. Alcohol was seized and entered into property, secured in library locker.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

2:45 p.m.: Belchertown Police reported erratic operation of a yellow 2006 Hummer all over the road and passing on double yellow at 750 Belchertown Rd. Amherst Police officers followed the vehicle; no violations were observed.

10:50 p.m.: Reporting party reported a white Mercedes driving all over the road. Police reported that a white 2007 Mercedes pulled into a cornfield near the town line at 317 East Hadley Rd. The vehicle was not in Amherst.

Suspicious Activity

4:12 p.m.: Reporting party reported a male party urinating outside in the vicinity of 1191 North Pleasant St. Police checked the area and was unable to locate the individual.

6:54 p.m.: Reporting party at Sunset Grill and Pizza, 150 Fearing St., reported there was a man recording the females in the restaurant, and it was making her uncomfortable. Police spoke with a man who volunteered to show police his phone. Nothing suspicious was observed on the phone. Involved party was an Uber driver who stopped in for dinner before returning to work. Police were unable to locate anyone in the restaurant with a complaint about the male. Involved party was sent on his way.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Liquor Law Violation

12:17 a.m.: A person was walking down the sidewalk with an open container of beer at 46 Sunset Ave. He was found to be 20 years old. He was issued a warning and the additional alcohol in his backpack was seized for destruction.

1:48 a.m.: A man was observed walking in front of APD with an open can of beer. A summons arrest was distributed, and the man was issued a town bylaw citation for having an open container.

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:28 a.m.: A black 2011 Kia Forte was stopped at 35 East Pleasant St. for not having headlights activated. The officer performed field sobriety tests and there was no indication of impairment. The operator was issued a verbal warning.

12:39 a.m.: A gray 2006 Buick Lacrosse was stopped at 111 Main St. The operator was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight.

12:46 a.m.: The operator of a gray 2007 Honda Pilot was issued a warning for operating without headlights when stopped at 35 East Pleasant St.

1:08 a.m.: A gray 2015 Ford Fiesta was stopped at 243 Triangle St. for a lights violation. Signs of impairment were observed by the officer. Field sobriety tests were done and checked ‘okay.’ A verbal warning was issued.

2:12 a.m.: A 2009 Nissan Altima was stopped and the operator was given a verbal warning for failing to stop at a stop sign at 301 South Pleasant St.

2:35 a.m.: A gray 2012 Volkswagen Passat was issued a warning for failing to stop or yield at 1191 North Pleasant St.

8:25 p.m.: A warning was issued to the operator of a gray 2008 Chevy Malibu for a red light violation at 67 Northampton Rd.

10:52 p.m.: The operator of a gray 2016 Nissan Sentra was issued a warning for operating without headlights at 103 South Pleasant St.

Suspicious

12:33 a.m.: An involved party was repeatedly trying to get into the parked vehicle of a police officer even after the officer confronted him and asked what he was doing. He stated that he was trying to get home. He was found to be intoxicated and was unable to answer simple questions testing his sobriety. He was able to contact a sober and responsible party who came and picked him up.

12:50 a.m.: A person was seen running down College St. and then running up onto the train trestle at 150 College St. He was advised to stay off the train tracks, and that failing to do so may result in his arrest. He acknowledged it was a poor decision and left the area with a friend.

1:01 a.m.: A verbal warning was given to people at 200 Triangle St. for urinating on a building.

1:16 a.m.: About six people were observed inside the lobby of Jones Group Realtors after it was closed. They stated they were staying warm while waiting for their Uber. They were asked to stay out of the lobby.

2:01 a.m.: A reporting party stated that there was a male party who walked into her house and walked back outside at 93 Fearing St. She was unable to describe the person because she was in her bed at the time. The woman believed that the male party was still outside. A second resident in the apartment complex called UMass Police Department. The male was reportedly slamming his shoulder into the door, and was believed to be intoxicated. K-9 Marvin responded to track the suspect. The male party was arrested for two counts of disturbing the peace and nighttime breaking and entering for felony.

2:05 p.m.: A reporting party stated she heard footsteps in her basement and believed someone was down there at 25 McClellan St. Police checked the house and no one was located. The perimeter was checked and an interior sweep of the entire house was conducted. The noise was most likely from the boiler.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

3:50 a.m.: A reporting party stated a black 2005 Volvo S40 was running in front of 111 Main St. for over 45 minutes. An arrest was made for OUI liquor, operating a motor vehicle to endanger and negligence. The person was asleep at the wheel; signs of impairment were shown and field sobriety tests indicated so.

Disturbance

4:55 a.m.: A reporting party stated a large party down the street from 591 West St. had vehicles parked on both sides of the roadway making it difficult for cars to pass through. A second reporting party stated that individuals were threatening him and wanted to fight. There were no active fights upon police arrival, but cars were parked on both sides of the street. Police spoke to residents who advised that they had been trying to clear out the house for a while, but people wouldn’t leave. The town bylaw was explained for noise and nuisance. The residents were cooperative in getting guests to leave.

9:25 p.m.: A reporting party stated her landlord showed up at her home at 730 West St. and was banging on her bedroom door and yelling at her. The landlord was located by police sitting on the stairs directly outside the residence. The landlord was advised of the civil process surrounding eviction and was explained that he cannot continue attempting to make contact with the party. Peace was restored.

Traffic

5:20 p.m.: A reporting party at 174 Sunset Ave. stated a white 2017 Nissan Sentra was parked in front of his driveway and he was unable to get out. The motor vehicle was not blocking the driveway but was parked in a no parking zone. The operator came out of a UMass dorm and moved the vehicle.

Jackson Cote can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @jackson_k_cote. Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.