Police Log: Friday, April 20 – Sunday, April 22

Six arrests, one lost and found dog

Friday, April 20, 2018

Larceny

9:45 a.m.: A woman dropped a small change purse at Atkins Farm, 113 Cowls Rd. The small clutch-style bag contained her credit cards. The woman learned that her Cabela’s card was used at Fitness Together in Amherst on April 15 in the amount of $544. She does not have access to online statements and has to look for printed statements for the account number. She is also in the process of contacting other companies to check for transactions to cancel.

Animal Admin Services

10:00 a.m.: A dog was brought from a shelter up to Franklin County.

Fraud

10:02 a.m.: A reporting party stated she received a call from Verizon informing her of a fraudulent account in her name using her information.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

12:44 p.m.: A trash truck was reported traveling northbound on East Pleasant St. leaking hydraulic fluid on the road. The area was checked by Amherst Police Department and there were no signs of fluid on the road.

11:48 p.m.: UMass Transit reported a potentially intoxicated driver of a white Cadillac convertible at 1101 West St. The vehicle was gone upon police arrival.

Disturbance

1:14 p.m.: A reporting party stated that her ex-husband was at her residence, Apt. 11, 12 Longmeadow Dr., trying to retrieve his belongings and refusing to leave. He was allowed to gather a few items before being asked to leave. The ex-couple are to work out further property retrieval and were advised to contact APD should they need further assistance.

3:36 p.m.: A staff member at 27 The Hollow stated one of the clients became very violent and was banging his wheelchair into the wall. Another client told the staff this person had two guns. It is unknown if the guns were in the room with him or in his possession. Peace was restored; the person refused medical or mental health services. The man was calm upon police arrival. He was upset over his living arrangements. When questioned about the firearms in his possession, he said it was in the music he was listening to. Police offered for him to go to Cooley Dickinson Hospital, which he refused. He did not meet the criteria for a section 12. The staff is to call if the person creates a disturbance again.

7:13 p.m.: A reporting party stated that a man on the PVTA was trespassing and would like assistance removing him. The man has previously been issued a trespass notice by the PVTA and has been issued a summons.

9:39 p.m.: A reporting party called in fighting, yelling and screaming at Mill Valley Apt. J, 760 Riverglade Dr. An involved party and a friend were at the residence and speaking loudly when APD arrived. There was no arguing or fighting. The involved party stated that the noise could have been attributed to her son and his medical condition. The resident advised she did not need any police assistance.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

4:17 p.m.: A reporting party stated a vehicle lost a wheel at 11 Middle St. The vehicle lost the tire while turning, and Ernie’s Towing was out to assist.

Noise Complaint

5:41 p.m.: A reporting party called in loud music coming from Apt. 114, 497 East Pleasant St. A warning was issued, the town bylaw was explained and the music was turned off.

Motor Vehicle Stop

6:21 p.m.: A black 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe was stopped at 1191 North Pleasant St. and was issued a warning for a red light violation.

9:56 p.m.: A gray 2010 Hyundai Se Elantra was stopped at 586 South Pleasant St. for a defective headlight. The operator of the vehicle had what appeared to be a valid Swiss driver’s license. A verbal warning was issued.

10:12 p.m.: A 2017 Nissan Rogue was stopped at 68 North Pleasant St. and given a verbal warning.

10:32 p.m.: A black 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe was stopped at 31 North Pleasant St. and issued a warning for a defective headlight.

11:24 p.m.: A silver 2006 Acura TSX was stopped for a marked lanes violation at 51 North Pleasant St. The operator of the vehicle displayed signs of impairment from alcohol. Field sobriety tests further indicated impairment. The operator was placed under arrest for charges of OUI liquor, operating a motor vehicle to endanger and negligent marked lanes violation.

Motor Vehicle Crash

8:57 p.m.:  A black 2015 Ford pickup truck backed into and struck the front of a blue 2013 Audi A4 parked in front of 49 South Prospect St. in a no parking tow zone. No damage was sustained by the Ford. The Audi sustained a dent to the hood by the front grill. The damage is estimated to be under $1,000. Information was exchanged and both vehicles left under their own power.

Liquor Law Violation

11:00 p.m.: A woman was observed walking down Belchertown Rd. with a red solo cup, which she discarded over the guardrail upon police arrival. She admitted it was alcohol and she was issued a warning and was advised of the dangers associated with consuming alcohol while walking down the side of the highway at night.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

11:24 p.m.: A gray 2006 Lincoln Zephyr and a 2007 Honda Element were parking in the lot at 25 Mt. Pollux Dr. with three parties about to partake in some marijuana smoking. They were advised that Mount Pollux Conservation Area was closed and that operating a vehicle after smoking marijuana would result in an OUI. They agreed to leave the area — no impairment.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:50 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a green 2004 Volkswagen Touareg at 422 Belchertown Rd. for a defective headlight and failure to inspect the motor vehicle.

1:09 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a 2005 Acura MDX for having no headlights on and honking their horn through the center of Amherst at 364 North Pleasant St. for no reason.

1:15 a.m.: A gray 2012 Nissan Rogue was stopped at Fort River School, 70 South East St., and the registered owner issued a verbal warning for having no front license plate.

1:27 a.m.: A random query of a gray 2015 Chevy Equinox at 201 North Pleasant St. showed that the vehicle was revoked for no insurance. The vehicle was also found to not be inspected and was missing the front license place. The operator was not the registered owner and was unaware of the vehicle status. A criminal citation was issued to the registered owner, and the operator was signed as the agent. Ernie’s Towing towed the vehicle. The citation and court information was provided to the operator, and a summons was issued on the charges of operating after revocation of registration, uninsured motor vehicle and number plate violation.

2:20 a.m.: A gray 2008 Subaru Impreza was issued a verbal warning for having a defective headlight and operating above 40 miles per hour in the posted 25-miles-per-hour zone at 111 Main St.

4:27 p.m.: A gray 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan was issued a verbal warning for a left turn violation in the vicinity of 334 Amity St.

4:41 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a gray 2005 Jeep Liberty for operating 45 miles per hour in the posted 25 miles-per-hour zone of North Pleasant St.

6:42 p.m.: A black 2018 Ford was issued a verbal warning for failing to stay to the right of the median at 4 Boltwood Ave.

7:05 p.m.: A gray 2000 Volkswagen Golf was stopped in the vicinity of the Hangar, 10 University Dr., as the operator was observed texting on his phone while police observed him on Amity St. The operator also stopped at the red light with his front tires into the intersection. The operator then failed to signal when turning right onto University Dr. Upon speaking with the operator, police observed that he displayed signs of impairment due to drugs and/or alcohol. Field sobriety tests were conducted, and it was determined that the operator was not impaired. K-9 Marvin was deployed around the vehicle for an exterior sniff for narcotics. There were no alerts. The operator was issued a verbal warning for the civil motor vehicle offenses.

7:26 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a gray 2001 Honda Accord at 10 Meadow St. for texting and driving.

7:51 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a gray 2012 Honda Pilot for a crosswalk violation at 103 North Pleasant St.

8:22 p.m.: A black 2016 Toyota Camry was stopped in the vicinity of Apt. B, 14 Gray St., because the license plate displayed an expired registration. Query of the plate confirmed the expiration. Dispatch confirmed. Ernie’s Towing was contacted, and the vehicle was to be towed to the operator’s residence. The operator was issued a warning citation.

8:37 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a 2011 Lexus at 111 Main St. for having no headlights.

10:11 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the registered owner/operator of a gray 2007 Toyota Prius at 50 Meadow St.

10:13 p.m.: The operator of a gray 2006 Nissan Altima was stopped and issued a verbal warning for failing to activate its headlights at night at 121 East Pleasant St.

10:53 p.m.: A black 2013 Hyundai Sonata was issued a verbal warning at 259 Triangle St. for having no headlights.

10:56 p.m.: A white 2006 Nissan Altima was issued a verbal warning at 497 East Pleasant St. for speeding and defective equipment.

10:58 p.m.: A white 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee was issued a summons on charges of being a person under the age of 21 in possession of alcohol at 23 Massachusetts Ave.

11:06 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a black 2017 Ford Focus at 103 South Pleasant St.

Liquor Law Violation

12:54 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the involved party for an open container of Busch beer at Fort River School, 70 South East St.

1:17 a.m.: Involved party was walking in the middle of North Pleasant St. with a Bud Light cup containing alcohol. A citation and summons were issued on charges of open container of alcohol.

4:50 p.m.: A 19-year-old was stopped at Brandywine Apartments for being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was placed under arrest on charges of being a person under the age of 21 in possession of alcohol.

5:09 p.m.: At 1040 North Pleasant St., a 20-year-old with a fake ID was arrested on charges of being a person under the age of 21 in possession of alcohol and false/misuse of a liquor ID card/license.

10:34 p.m.: Involved party was observed carrying an open can of Bud Light beer on the UMass side of Sunset Ave. He was found to be under 21 and will be summoned to court for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

10:42 p.m.: Involved party was observed walking across Lincoln Ave. with a red solo cup filled with beer. The involved party was also found to have additional beer inside a backpack he had. He was arrested on charges of being a person under the age of 21 in possession of alcohol and carrying an open container of alcohol.

Suspicious Activity

1:04 a.m.: Involved party was observed urinating in public in the vicinity of Spoke, 35 East Pleasant St. He was issued a warning and sent on his way.

2:30 p.m.: Reporting party believed cars were parked illegally on the street and said that a couple of students attending a party across from Marshall Steinbeck Collision on 53 South Prospect St. were urinating on cars.

7:54 p.m.: Reporting party at Apt. 138, Boulders, 188 East Hadley Rd., stated that there was a man carrying a laptop at his door, asking him to sign some form. The involved party was from the census department and had permission from management to be in the complex. The involved party advised that he attempted to identify himself to the reporting party, but the reporting party was too hostile. At the request of the reporting party, the involved party was advised to not come to his apartment again.

10:49 p.m.: Reporting party stated that there was a male who appeared intoxicated and was trying his room key on all the rooms at the University Lodge, 345 North Pleasant St., because he doesn’t know which room is his. Police were able to locate the listed party’s apartment using his key card. Listed party stayed with friends and will remain in the apartment for the night.

Missing Property

1:22 a.m.: Reporting party reported her cell phone missing or stolen from the University of Massachusetts fraternity Theta Chi, on 496 North Pleasant St., earlier Friday night. Using an application, they found the location to be 620 Massachusetts Avenue, Kennedy Dormitory. Reporting party was explained the Amherst Police Department/UMass Police Department jurisdictions, as well as how it was unfeasible going room to room looking for the phone. Reporting party spoke to UMPD, who referred her to Amherst Police, as the incident originated off campus. Reporting party stated that they would like it placed on record that her phone is missing/stolen in hopes it may get turned in. The phone is a black iPhone 7 with a clear case with a blue border.

Motor Vehicle Crash

11:28 a.m.: Reporting party reported a black Saab, with a partial New Jersey license plate and two female occupants, backed out of a parking spot at the Big Y parking lot at 165 University Dr. and struck two parked vehicles, causing damage to both by turning too sharp and scraping the passenger side of one of the parked cars. Neither person got out of the Saab. The operator then pulled forward through spaces and scraped the passenger rear corner of another car. Both victim vehicles were unoccupied. The Saab was headed north on University Dr. and was reported to have damage to its back end. Hadley Police and UMass Police were advised. A summons was issued on charges of leaving the scene of property damage.

Traffic

12:04 p.m.: A 2005 Chevy Express was ticketed for parking in a tow zone at 33 Phillips St. A tow zone citation was issued.

7:27 p.m.: A gray 1999 Honda CRV was observed parked on the east side of Allen St., facing north, in front of a tow zone. The vehicle was issued a citation for parking in a tow zone.

Animal Complaint

1:39 p.m.: Reporting party at 750 Belchertown Rd. located a husky mix with no collar in the roadway and took custody of it. The owner was called about an hour later to report that his dog, Hank, ran off. The owner said Hank slipped his collar and took off from the woods in Amherst. Police provided the reporting party with the owner’s phone number so she could figure out a time to get Hank back to him.

Follow Up

1:01 p.m.: Reporting party reported that they spotted the Saab involved in the motor vehicle crash in the Big Y lot, in the center of town turning down Amity St. As police were pedaling toward the downtown area on South Pleasant St., they were told by an operator of a motor vehicle that the Saab involved in the hit and run was going toward the center of town. Police located the Saab and followed it onto Amity St. and watched it pull into the driveway of 140 Amity St. The operator called the female who was driving the Saab when it was in the parking lot of Big Y. They arrived on the scene shortly after. This operator admitted to driving the Saab and hitting the other two vehicles.

Community Policing

4:47 p.m.: At the request of police walking around the Townehouse Apartments on 50 Meadow St., UMass Transit were contacted and asked that they stop dropping students off at Townehouse, Puffton, Brandywine and Presidential Apartments. Amherst Police assisted as need. Foot patrol was implemented at the complex for a large crowd gathering.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:06 a.m.: A white 2006 Nissan Altima was stopped at 256 North Pleasant St. and given a verbal warning for a defective headlight.

12:49 a.m.: A black 2015 Chrysler Se was stopped at 103 South Pleasant St. and the operator was issued a warning.

1:10 a.m.: A white 2008 Jeep Liberty was stopped at 406 North Pleasant St. The operator was issued a warning for operating on Mass Ave. and North Pleasant St. without any lights on. No impairment was detected.

1:42 a.m.: A verbal warning was given to the operator of a red 2008 Honda Pilot at 201 North Pleasant St.

1:52 a.m.: A gray 2004 Nissan Altima was stopped for defective equipment. The operator was given a written warning.

2:04 a.m.: A gray 2010 Toyota Corolla was stopped for speeding and given a warning at 277 Riverglade Dr.

2:06 a.m.: A black 2013 Toyota Corolla was stopped at 103 South Pleasant St. The operator was texting while driving and was issued a verbal warning.

2:13 a.m.: The operator of a black 2011 Nissan Versa was stopped at 67 Northampton Rd. and issued a warning for a defective headlight.

Suspicious

12:36 a.m.: A person was urinating in public view at 45 Boltwood Walk. A warning was issued.

10:21 a.m.: A woman was buying cigarettes at Cumberland Farms, 35 Belchertown Rd., and was propositioned by a male party operating a gray 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. The woman had to walk to a local church to use a phone to call the police. The woman is recently homeless, from Northampton and South Hadley. She stated she was having a friendly conversation with the man who gave her a dollar to buy coffee. During the conversation, the man unexpectedly asked the woman for a handjob. The woman declined and walked back in the direction of South Hadley. She just wanted to report the incident to the police and didn’t want to take further action. Police assisted the woman with resources and gave her a ride back to Amherst center.

Noise Complaint

12 :48 a.m.: A reporting party claimed she could hear drunken men screaming intermittently at 390 State St. and she was uncertain of where it was coming from. Four residents were outside on the porch talking loudly. They were advised of the complaint and agreed to quiet down.

1:14 a.m.: Reporting party reported a loud party to the right of her house. Police reported loud music from a jazz band coming from 655 West St. Residents were cooperative in clearing out the residence. Town bylaws were explained, and a warning was issued.

4:05 p.m.: A loud party with music across from 141 Fearing St. was reported. Upon police arrival, noise was coming from a loud stereo. Parents and college-aged students were present. The noise was not unreasonable for the time.

Motor Vehicle Crash

12:56 a.m.: A blue 2013 Toyota Prius was backing up to then pull forward out of a parking spot at 37 North Pleasant St. The operator of the Prius did not notice a white 2006 Nissan Altima parked behind her. The Prius hit the Nissan. Minor damage was done to the passenger side front bumper of the Nissan and minor damage was sustained in the driver side rear bumper of the Prius. Damage was estimated to be under $1,000.

Liquor Law Violation

1:13 a.m.: A summons for having an open container of alcohol and person under 21in possession of liquor was made at 406 Pleasant St.

Disturbance

1:18 a.m.: Two males were observed fist fighting in front of the Monkey Bar, 63 North Pleasant St. Both parties were placed under arrest for disorderly conduct. The fight broke up with little resistance.

3:10 p.m.: A reporting party stated a road rage occurred at Apt. 47, 266 East Hadley Rd. The reporting party pulled behind a silver sedan and beeped his horn so the car would pull up and he could park. The reporting party beeped again and the operator of the sedan held a knife out the window of the vehicle and said “Come on, let’s go!” The operator of the sedan picked up a passenger from Apt. 35 and left the parking lot. Contact was made with management to attempt to acquire names of possible prior tenants. No direct threat with a knife was made; the item was described as a homemade shank displayed from the inside of the involved vehicle. The reporting party was several lengths away during the argument.

8:20 p.m.: A reporting party stated a disturbance may occur with parents of children that have been yelled at by a woman who lives at 34 Pomeroy Ln. The reporting party explained the on-going problem that may come to a head as parents were on their way to confront the woman. The argument was surrounding the use of a basketball court during nighttime hours. Police advised that APD be contacted in the future regarding noise disturbances and issued rights to harassment orders. The peace was restored.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

1:26 a.m.: A male was observed intoxicated, vomiting and hanging out by the passenger side of a gray 2009 Toyota Tacoma behind The Pub, 15 East Pleasant St. He declined medical attention. His brother was found to be an employee of The Pub; he was sober and agreed to look after his brother for the night.

1:38 a.m.: A male was observed unsuccessfully attempting to gain entry into a vehicle in the driveway of 52 Fearing St. He was found to live at the residence.

Traffic

1:54 a.m.: A blue 2011 Nissan Altima was parked under a “No Parking” tow zone sign, facing the wrong direction and over a foot off the curb at 327 Lincoln Ave. The resident of the address said the vehicle belonged to a guest and agreed to move it. A parking citation was issued.

11:15 p.m.: Hadley Police Department had a caller who reported a goat somewhere near Atkins, 1150 West St. in Amherst. No goats were found in the area.

Assault

3:35 p.m.: A reporting party came into APD to report a past assault. The male reported that he was assaulted sometime between 12 a.m. and 12:15 a.m. by four unknown, unidentifiable males. The police are looking into this; there are no suspects.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

3:40 p.m.: A reporting party reported motor vehicles drag racing up Amity Street, passing cars, etc.

4:41 p.m.: An officer from Belchertown reported a gray 2007 Saturn Ion tailgating and all over the road at 350 Belchertown Rd. The driver allegedly laughed after nearly causing an accident when an ambulance approached. The operator was stopped and issued a citation.

7:46 p.m.: A 911 caller reports a gray Nissan station wagon operating northbound on Hadley Street with a toddler standing in the front seat.

Trespass

10:30 p.m.: A listed party was issued a trespass in hand and advised of the consequences at 18 Main St.

Jackson Cote can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @jackson_k_cote. Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.