Police Logs: Friday, Sept. 28 – Sunday, Sept. 30

Seven arrests were made over the weekend in Amherst
(Maxwell Zaleski/Daily Collegian)

Friday, Sept. 28, 2018

Disturbance

8:36 a.m.: Services were rendered at 85 Olympia Drive, Apt. 8.

Motor Vehicle Crash

8:55 a.m.: An accident report was filled out for a motor vehicle crash at 70 South East St. involving a white 2001 Dodge Ram and a gray 2010 Volkswagen Jetta.

7:09 p.m.: A blue 2005 Subaru Legacy was traveling westbound on Main Street and stopped for a pedestrian crossing the street. The pedestrian was not crossing at a crosswalk. A black 2014 BMW failed to stop and struck the rear bumper of the Subaru. Officers observed minimal damage to each vehicle. The operator of the BMW was issued a citation and provided with a vehicle crash exchange form. The BMW was found to be revoked for insurance. Authorized towing of vehicle.

Stolen Motor Vehicle

11:46 a.m.: A listed motorcycle was stolen from Puffton Village Apt. 410, 1040 N. Pleasant St. The black 2012 Suzuki DR-Z400 was taken from the visitor parking lot and has not been recovered.

Shoplifting

3:16 p.m.: A reporting party at Big Y, 175 University Drive, has a male party detained who stole electric toothbrushes valued at over $250. The male party is being summoned on a charge of shoplifting over $250 by concealing merchandise.

Traffic

5:38 p.m.: A reporting party stated a man is in the middle of the rotary making traffic dangerous at the Triangle Street rotary, 258 Triangle St. A secondary reporting party reported the contents of the male’s sign as lewd. Officers spoke with the male and advised him to remain on the sidewalks. He agreed and was sent on his way.

Motor Vehicle Stop

6:10 p.m.: A black 2014 Volkswagen Jetta was stopped for having a nonfunctional driver’s side headlight. A verbal warning was given to the operator. The operator was also made aware that his inspection was due to expire over the weekend. He said he would get it done ASAP.

9:10 p.m.: A verbal warning was given to the operator of a gray 2016 Toyota RAV4 on South East Street.

9:23 p.m.: A gray 2012 Toyota Prius was stopped at 191 N. Pleasant St. for taking a right at a red light and was issued a verbal warning.

9:59 p.m.: An involved party appeared to be texting at a stop light at Main Street and South Pleasant Street. The driver did not see the light turn green and was holding up traffic. He advised he is an Insomnia Cookies delivery driver and workers were trying to contact him because they have him the wrong order. The operator was issued a verbal warning for texting and for not having a license in his possession.

10:39 p.m.: A gray 2017 Nissan Altima was stopped at 35 E. Pleasant St. for having a headlight out. The rear driver-side passenger began immediately moving around when the car was pulled over, and it was unclear if he was concealing or reaching for something. The involved party was asked what he was doing and he began reaching under the seat, out of view of the officer. The officer told him to stop shuffling around and he said he wasn’t but continued. The involved party was ordered out of the vehicle for a pat and frisk for weapons. He was cleared for weapons; however, the rear passenger began reaching around the passenger compartment and yelling at the police, calling them racist. This other passenger was ordered out of the vehicle as he was reaching around and not compliant. He was cleared for weapons as well. It is unclear what the passengers were searching for and unclear why they didn’t comply with simple requests.

11:00 p.m.: A gray 2011 Toyota Highlander was stopped at 56 S. Pleasant St. for taking a right turn at a red light. Field sobriety tests were conducted and the passenger took control of the vehicle. A verbal warning was issued.

11:33 p.m.: The operator of a gray 2005 Acura failed to stop for officers in a crosswalk at 68 N. Pleasant St. and had too many passengers in the vehicle. A back passenger reached under the seat. The vehicle and all six persons were searched. Booze was seized and destroyed. The operator was cited for the crosswalk violation.

11:35 p.m.: A warning for a defective driver’s side headlight was issued to the operator of a red 2007 Toyota Prius at 149 E. Pleasant St.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

6:21 p.m.: A red 2013 Toyota Camry was observed in a cul de sac in the middle of a dead end, non-commercial road at 3 S. Middle St. The operator appeared to be on a hike in the woods behind the area.

Animal Complaint

6:37 p.m.: A reporting party at 99 Station Road stated her dog was stuck under her front landing. She stated the landing was caved in by dirt. Yellow jackets complicated the rescue. The dirt was removed and the dog was coaxed out and freed with the help of Amherst Fire Department. The dog appeared healthy and happy. The resident advised this had happened several times. She was receptive to the idea of putting an underground chain link fence to keep rabbits from burrowing and in turn keep her dog, Rosie, out.

Suspicious

8:11 p.m.: A reporting party stated two males were cooking in the third-floor kitchen at 401 Main St. and they are not residents and are not supposed to be there. Officers spoke with the two involved parties who were living in the residence for another two days. The involved parties were cooking pork chops in the shared kitchen. One advised they would be moving out and there would be no more issues with the reporting party.

8:56 p.m.: A possible breaking and entering into a mailbox at 155 Summer St., Apt. 55 was called in. The reporting party also said a neighbor wanted to speak to an officer as someone may have gone into her mailbox as well. It appeared the postal worker did not properly lock the mailboxes. There were pieces of mail still present; nothing suspicious.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

8:28 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was a dark blue SUV swerving all over the road at 405 Amity St. The vehicle reportedly passed a vehicle on the double yellow lines. No license plate information was given. Police checked the area for the vehicle, but it was gone on arrival.

Noise Complaint

9:04 p.m.: Officers arrived at 702 Main St. and observed unreasonable noise. Dispatch informed officers there had been multiple noise complaints in the past two months. The residents were behind the location drinking and playing darts. This was the seventh response to the listed location and the tenants were well aware of the ongoing issues, as they had just met with an officer and their landlord. Residents were identified and one was issued a town bylaw/nuisance house citation. Residents were again advised of the noise town bylaw and informed that harsher consequences would be utilized if officers were to respond again.

11:23 p.m.: A loud party at 30 Hallock St. was called in. An area search was performed with negative results. The noise was gone on arrival.

Liquor Law Violation

10:57 p.m.: A warning was issued to an involved party for having an open container at 53 Fearing St.

11:39 p.m.: Two males were taken into custody for being minors in possession of alcohol at the Phi Sigma Kappa house, 510 N. Pleasant St. One was charged with under 21 possession of alcohol and another was charged with that and false/misuse of liquor identification card.

Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018

Noise Complaint

12:35 a.m.: A loud party was reported at 41 Gray St., Apt. 2. Loud voices could be heard from the second floor of the location. The noise was unreasonable for the time of night. Residents were cooperative and had their 20 guests leave promptly. The noise town bylaw was explained to residents.

12:49 a.m.: A reporting party called in lots of noise in the area of 19 McClellan St. The reporting party said it sounded like foot traffic had stopped and people were hanging out in the area. Loud voices were heard upon police arrival. A small group of people left the porch upon seeing police. A resident was advised of the complaint and cleared guests from his property. A male was seen walking across the public roadway with a can of Busch Light. He was found to be under 21 years of age and is being summoned for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

12:31 p.m.: A reporting party on 221 Northampton Rd. called in loud music coming from the area. The listed party checked his sound system and was issued a warning.

4:31 p.m.: A reporting party stated that loud music and a party were in the backyard of 221 Northampton Road.

7:11 p.m.: A caller reported loud music from Puffton Village apartment 233 at 1040 N. Pleasant St. Officers did not hear noise upon arrival.

10:51 p.m.: A reporting party called in loud music from Puffton Village, Apt. 233 at 1040 N. Pleasant St. A warning was issued.

Liquor Law Violation

12:23 a.m.: An involved party at 53 Fearing St. was drinking a Spiked Seltzer, which she threw in the bushes upon being stopped by an officer. The involved party was uncooperative and denied possessing any alcohol. She was placed under arrest with a charge of being a person under 21 in possession of alcohol.

12:28 a.m.: A listed party was drinking from an open can of Busch Light while on the sidewalk in front of the Bank of America, 1 S. Pleasant St. He was cooperative and advised of the laws. A warning was issued.

6:16 p.m.: A warning was issued to an involved party at 33 Phillips St. The alcohol was destroyed at the scene.

11:10 p.m.: An officer observed someone at 200 Sunset Ave. carrying a can and a water bottle. The person threw away the water bottle when approached and then claimed to not know what the officer was talking about. The can was found to be an Arnold Palmer and the bottle contained an unknown alcoholic beverage. The person, a 19-year-old from West Roxbury, Massachusetts, was placed under arrest for possession of liquor under the age of 21.

10: 54 p.m.: An 18-year-old man was arrested on 155 Sunset Ave. for possessing alcohol as a person under 21.

Motor Vehicle Crash

12:36 a.m.: A reporting party called in an unknown vehicle she believed hit another unknown vehicle just outside 24 N. Pleasant St. and drove off on Route 9 toward Hadley. No descriptions of vehicles were given, and the reporting party left the scene. Officers checked the area and did not see any vehicles with fresh damage. There was one motor vehicle in the area that appeared to have old front-end damage to the bumper.

10:59 a.m.: A reporting party in a blue Honda Accord was struck by a blue Mazda hatchback, however, no injuries were reported. The Mazda left, but returned to the scene at 165 University Drive. There were minor scratches to both motor vehicles with damages under $1,000.

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:53 a.m.: A black 2004 Nissan was stopped at 696 Main St. for broken headlights and the operator was given a verbal warning.

12:55 a.m.: The operator of a gray 2017 Nissan Altima was stopped at 696 Main St. and was issued a verbal warning.

1:11 a.m.: The operator of a gray 2005 Nissan Altima was stopped and a field sobriety test was conducted. The test indicated impairment. The operator was placed in custody without issue. The female is being charged with OUI liquor, negligent operation of a motor vehicle to endanger and a motor vehicle lights violation.

10:47 a.m.: A gray 2012 Dodge Ram was stopped at 752 N. Pleasant St. for blocking traffic in the rotary. An office conducted a well-being check and the listed party checked out okay.

4:52 p.m.: A 20-year-old man is to be summoned to court for possessing liquor as a minor. The man was stopped in a 2005 Toyota Camry at 58 S. Whitney St.

8:20 p.m.: The operator of a black 2007 Chevy Silverado was stopped at 739 N. Pleasant St. because the passenger side headlight was completely out. The operator parked the vehicle for the night and was issued a warning.

8:30 p.m.: A black 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee was stopped at 193 Northampton Road and was issued a warning.

9:05 p.m.: A 1999 Toyota Camry was stopped at 364 N. Pleasant St. and was issued a warning.

9:39 p.m.: The operator of a gray 2006 Honda Civic was stopped for an expired registration at 301 S. Pleasant St. The operator was unaware that the registration was expired and was not able to renew it due to outstanding parking tickets. The vehicle was towed by Ernie’s and the operator was issued a citation.

10:41 p.m.: A white 2000 Mercedes was parked in a lot at 58 College St. that was closed. Once the operator observed officers, the vehicle quickly left the area and pulled into another parking lot further down the street. When followed, the vehicle quickly pulled out of that parking lot. The vehicle was then stopped for investigative purposes. A warning was issued after the operator explained they were looking for parking so they could attend a party at Amherst College.

10:46 p.m.: A gray 2017 Nissan Altima was stopped at 739 N. Pleasant St. and the registered operator was issued a warning for a defective headlight.

Suspicious

1:08 a.m.: A listed party was observed carrying a candidate yard sign at 1 E. Pleasant St. The person is to return the sign to where it came from.

4:05 p.m.: A reporting party called in a white male with blond hair who was completely exposed laying on the ground at the First Congregational Church, 165 Main St. Officers spoke with the involved party, who was intoxicated, but cooperative. He was advised to vacate the area.

10:05 p.m.: A gray 2017 Toyota was parked near a laundry room at 170 E. Hadley Road. The vehicle was electric and was plugged into an outlet in the laundry room via extension cord. No one was in the area when officers arrived.

Disturbance

1:35 a.m.: A disturbance was observed outside Douglass Funeral Services, 87 N. Pleasant St. A female was observed pushing a male while numerous individuals were attempting to separate them. The male made comments about a second female and the first female took offense. Both parties had been drinking and were strangers. Both groups called Ubers and were sent on their way. Peace was restored.

4:40 a.m.: A reporting party stated a possibly intoxicated male had been banging on her door for approximately 30 minutes at 16 N. Hadley Rd. The involved party was at the wrong house. It was determined that he lived at 133 N. Main St. in Sunderland and was transported there.

12:38 p.m.: A report for assault was called in on the Town Common when an Asian female was punched by other females. The reporting party was directed toward the officers at the Common who were on the scene for an event.

Assist other Police Department

2:05 a.m.: A male party was observed driving a UMass golf cart northbound on North Pleasant Street. The driver did not appear to have a legitimate purpose for driving it. As an officer was calling it in, a UMass police officer came upon it as well. The officers followed the driver into the back parking lot of Phi Sigma Kappa, 510 N. Pleasant St. The operator stated he was visiting and staying at the fraternity for the night. He claimed he was by the athletic fields with a member of the fraternity and that person told him he could take the cart and drive it back to the frat house. Police determined he did not have legitimate permission to take the cart. The UMPD officer followed the party in the golf cart to return it to its proper location. A few of the fraternity residents were on scene in the back lot of the house and said they knew nothing about why the golf cart ended up there. They were cooperative and appeared to be telling the truth.

Fight

2:36 a.m.: A fight was called in at 36 South East St. but there was no fight upon police arrival. The residence seemed to be hosting a party with loud music, voices and drinking. An officer spoke with the two residents who advised they had to kick people out which may have been the source of the call. The residents were advised of the town bylaw for nuisance house, should officers get any more calls to the residence.

Traffic

3:32 a.m.: A gray 2007 Ford F150 was parked in violation of a 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. tow zone at 30 Boltwood Ave. A male was asleep in the passenger seat. He had consumed alcohol earlier in the night and chose not to drive. The male was advised of a farmer’s market happening in the morning and moved his vehicle at 5:45 a.m.

8:31 a.m.: A reporting party called in a blue 2012 Chevy Cruze parked halfway in the roadway at 23 Seelye St. Police determined it was not a traffic problem; vehicles could safely pass.

Assist Citizen

4:58 a.m.: A reporting party stated he is intoxicated walking down the highway by 300 Sunderland Road and didn’t know where he was. He stated he left a party at the Townhouses. Officers located three individuals walking on the Route 116 bypass by the UMass exits and transported to them to Cumberland Farms, 109 Russell St. in Hadley in order to make arrangements to get back to Easthampton, Holyoke and West Springfield.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

7:34 p.m.: A reporting party listed a red 2013 Toyota Prius driving all over the place on Route 116, going various speeds between 25 to 40 miles per hour. The operator of the vehicle was stopped and was found to not be impaired. The operator said he was trying to navigate his way home from the Quaker meeting event he had just attended. He was having difficulty seeing because of all of the emergency lights from passing AFD vehicles. The operating party and his wife were sent on their way.

Larceny

7:37 p.m.: A reporting party reported a missing iPad and tracked it to downtown. After assisting officers with an extensive search of the town common, the reporting party later advised it was under the seat in her car.

Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018

Noise Complaint

12:34 a.m.: A reporting party advised police of a large party at the house of the left of hers at 120 Belchertown Road. Upon arrival, officers heard loud music blasting from a PA system. Around 500 to 600 people were found yelling and being generally loud around the residence. Residents of the home were identified and were found to be under the age of 21. Drinking games and a large amount of alcohol was observed in the house. Officers attempted to ID several people who tried to leave with alcohol, one was found to be under the age of 21 and the rest fled the area on foot and were unable to be identified. The residents, a 20-year-old from Hudson, a 20-year-old from Webster, a 19-year-old from Amherst and a 20-year-old from Amherst were placed under arrest for unlawful noise and a nuisance house.

1:33 a.m.: Officers were advised of loud voices and music coming from vicinity of 17 Cosby Ave. Tenants of the address were contacted and were advised about the noise complaint. They were issued a verbal warning and were told of the consequences of continued noise complaints.

2:25 a.m.: A noise complaint was called in for a residence at 950 N. Pleasant St. Apt. 69. The town bylaw was explained to tenants and the small gathering was cleared out.

2:42 a.m.: A noise complaint of loud talking from a large gathering was called in for a residence at 87 Pine Grove. Officers found a small gathering with music playing at what seemed to be a reasonable level. The resident was advised about the complaint and volunteered to turn the music off and make sure his guests stayed quiet.

11:58 a.m.: A reporting party advised officers about loud music blaring all over the neighborhood around 710 Main St. An officer heard the noise from the reporting party’s home but could not find the source of the noise. The music was eventually turned off.

Liquor Law Violation

12:33 a.m.: An 18-year-old from Dracut, Massachusetts was issued a summons for an open container of alcohol and possession of liquor under the age of 21 at 31 Phillips St.

Motor Vehicle Stop

1:17 a.m.: A blue 2012 Infinity SE G37 was stopped in front of The Spoke at 35 E. Pleasant St. and was given a verbal warning.

1:09 p.m.: A gray 2017 Nissan Ultima was stopped at 19 Northampton Road for holding up traffic at a green arrow then proceeding to continue through it when it turned red. A warning was issued.

5:51 p.m.: The operator of a black 2017 Honda Pilot was stopped at 665 West St. for having an expired operator license number that had expired three days ago. The operator attempted to renew online but the REAL ID process complicated matters since the operator did not have a birth certificate or a passport on hand. The vehicle was parked at Glendale and the operator walked home up the street so her husband could retrieve the vehicle later. The operator was issued a warning citation.

Disturbance

1:18 a.m.: Officers observed two males yelling at each other with others holding them back from fighting near Judie’s Restaurant at 51 N. Pleasant St. As officers approached the males saw the officers and fled.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

1:43 a.m.: A reporting party stated that a black SUV was driving on the opposite side of the roadway on Route 9 near 351 Northampton Road. An officer encountered the driver of the SUV after observing the vehicle pull into an Amherst College dorm parking lot. There were no signs of impairment, and the driver stated that the error was due to the fog and that she was eating while driving.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

1:47 a.m.: A green 2009 Honda Accord was called in as suspicious near 200 State St. An officer was dispatched to investigate and the vehicle was secure with no one around.

Traffic

1:04 p.m.: A reporting party advised of a Ford Bronco parked on the crosswalk that goes from the Bangs Community Center to Share Coffee at 70 Boltwood Walk. The vehicle was gone on arrival.

Motor Vehicle Crash

5:43 p.m.: A gray 2016 Honda Accord and a black 2015 Subaru Forester were both pulled into parking spaces in the Boltwood parking lot at 1 Main St. on opposite sides of each other. The Accord began to back out of the space as the Subaru backed out of the space at the same time. The Accord stopped backing up as they noticed the Subaru backing up as well. The Accord honked its horn, and the Subaru struck the rear of the Accord, sustaining damage to the passenger side rear bumper. Damage was estimated to be under $1,000 and both vehicles left under their own power.

Assist Citizen

6:45 p.m.: An officer assisted a couple at 259 Triangle St. with directions on how to get back to Boston.

Community Policing

8:28 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.: An officer spoke to residents from 18, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 and 32 Hobart Lane about the issue of a large gathering in the backyard of their residence. Police explained that their friends were not the issue, but when strangers start showing up they should reach out to the police department to stop the activity. Police advised there would not be enforcement on the residents, would not tell of the person who complained and they could continue to have a good time in their own home. All residents were extremely receptive to this as they did not want the blame of others’ actions resulting in their arrests or fines or property management.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected]. Michael Connors can be reached at [email protected]. Hayley Johnson can be reached [email protected].