A gift-giving guide to kick off the holiday season

Here are a few suggestions from UMass students for gift ideas

Ben+Stassen%2FFlickr

Ben Stassen/Flickr

Ben Stassen/Flickr

Ben Stassen/Flickr

Ben Stassen/Flickr

By Lara Klein, Collegian Correspondent

Now that the holiday season is rapidly approaching, it’s that time of year to think about what you are going to get for that Secret Santa or Grab Bag party. But when it comes to gift giving, many people draw a blank on what to get for the holiday season. Getting something simple and cost-effective can also be a daunting task. Instead of spending time online searching for a gift, here are a few popular suggestions from University of Massachusetts students on what they would like for the holidays this year.

The most popular response from my friends here at UMass (as to what they want for the holidays) is, shockingly, clothing. Whether it is Lululemons leggings, an ugly sweater or a pair of boots, most people just want to be dressed warm and comfortable for the incoming cold weather. “Active clothes are so much better to walk in” says Maddy Courtney, a freshman double major in biology and psychology. “The quality also makes it more durable for me to take care of while at school.” Moccasins and boots are also a popular holiday gift option because of how easy they are to slide on, as well as the well-insulated interior to keep warm. They are “a staple in any wardrobe,” says Samantha Safdieh, a junior communications and journalism major. For a friend, a fun cheaper pair of fuzzy socks or slippers could suffice.

Any kind of technology is, of course, a very expensive hot ticket item. Headphones are a good option to get around spending too much money. Of course, some of the higher quality headphones like AirPods on the more expensive side because of Bluetooth features and better sound quality, but good options can be found from the Audio-Technica brand—anything from cheaper $10 buds to $400 studio sets. For a friend, they have great options between $20 and $30 that have comparatively good quality to much more expensive (and more well-known) brands. Between walking to classes and studying in the library for an upcoming final, headphones are definitely a good way to go.

Maxwell Zaleski

If you want a quick, simple and nearly always successful gift, money is always a good option. “College stuff is expensive,” says Ashley Borys, a freshman public health major. Money allows the person who receives it the freedom to choose what they want. The benefit is that there is no added pressure of getting something they may already own or something they don’t want. It gives them the option of saving it up for something they know they want or spending it on something else. Gift cards to a specific store they like or coffee shop is also a great option that is a little more personal, but allows for similar freedom and an occasion to spend it.

With all of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season approaching, it is very easy to just get caught up in the receiving and giving of gifts. But it is also important to recognize that the holidays are a time of family and friend appreciation, not all gifts that we give have to be physical. “I don’t want anything this year for the holidays” says Haley Liebman, a freshman nutrition major, “because I am grateful and appreciative for things I already have.”

The holidays are a time where we can take a step back and appreciate those we love, and the students of UMass have a clear idea of what they want and where their heart is for the upcoming holiday season.

Lara Klein can be reached at [email protected]