Breaking: Bobby Trivigno suspended for national championship game

Freshman will miss game against Minnesota-Duluth
Jon Asgeirsson
Forward Bobby Trivigno at the Frozen Four at the Key Bank Arena on Thursday, Apr. 11, 2019. Photo by Jon Asgeirsson.

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Massachusetts hockey forward Bobby Trivigno has been suspended for the national championship game on Saturday against Minnesota-Duluth, the NCAA Division I Ice Hockey Committee announced Friday afternoon.

Jeff Cox of the New England Hockey Journal first broke the news that the NCAA would suspend the Minuteman freshman.

The hit in question happened with 3:10 remaining in the third period of the national semifinal against Denver on Thursday. Trivigno made contact with the head of Pioneer forward Jake Durflinger.

No call was made during the game and Pioneers coach David Carle was asked by the referees if he wanted to challenge it and declined, reports indicate.

“It’s frustrating because the game to that point where he thought he had to defend himself,” UMass coach Greg Carvel told MassLive. “The kid was coming at him so he got his elbow up to protect himself. I understand why he was suspended. I feel strongly that the game shouldn’t have gotten to that point. I’ve never seen a game with so many players thrown out. In a national semifinal game, it was unlike any other game I’ve coached.”

Three players were given game misconducts earlier in the game for hit-to-the head majors. UMass forwards Niko Hildenbrand and Mitchell Chaffee and Denver forward Ryan Barrow all left the game.

Hildenbrand and Chaffee are both eligible for Saturday’s game.

Ryan Ames can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @_RyanAmes.