UMPD Logs: Friday, Sept. 20 – Sunday, Sept. 22

A party was advised to urinate somewhere else

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Sept. 20, 2019 to Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019.

Friday, Sept. 20, 2019

Lost/Found Property

10:07 a.m.: A lost key was found at Lederle Research Tower on North Pleasant Street.

3:20 p.m.: A wallet was found outside the Isenberg School of Management on Presidents Drive. The wallet was brought to the station and the wallet’s owner will be picking up the wallet in 30 minutes.

4:55 p.m.: A single-state key was found in Morrill Science Center II Central on North Pleasant Street. The key was brought to the station.

10:07 p.m.: A wallet containing $60 in cash and a bank card were found at the Fine Arts Center on Presidents Drive. The wallet was brought to the station.

Traffic Enforcement

12:05 p.m.: A traffic warning was issued at the Recreation Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

Accident-Property Damage

12:22 p.m.: A party reported his vehicle was parked in Lot 67 behind the Mullins Center on the evening of Thursday, Sept. 19. In the morning of Sept. 20 at 11 a.m., it was observed that someone struck the driver’s door, leaving a small dent.

Suspicious Vehicle

1:35 p.m.: A vehicle was found on the sidewalk by Lot 71 (west of the Whitmore Administration Building). The party was lost and was provided directions.

4:45 p.m.: A vehicle was seen at Lot 34 (south of Massachusetts Avenue). An Ernie’s Towing tow company came to the scene and towed the vehicle.

Traffic Stop

4:06 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to stop or yield on Southwest Circle.

4:31 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a vehicle with too many passengers. The passengers were issued a verbal warning for not wearing seatbelts. The extra passenger was removed from the vehicle. The offense occurred on Fearing Street.

4:44 p.m.: Parties at University Drive were given field sobriety tests. One party was issued a summons. Alcohol was seized on scene for evidence.

5:09 p.m.: Two traffic citations were issued on the intersection of North Pleasant Street and Fearing Street.

5:26 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to yield at the rotary on East Pleasant Street.

5:33 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective brake light at the Life Sciences Laboratory on Thatcher Road.

7:15 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to stop or yield on University Drive.

7:19 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment near the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue.

7:27 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a safety violation on Massachusetts Avenue.

7:47 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to stop or yield on University Drive.

8:26 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to stop or yield on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

9:12 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with no headlights at night on Stockbridge Road.

10:02 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a vehicle with no headlights at night on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and University Drive.

10:11 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a motor vehicle without possession of a license or registration on University Drive.

11:34 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Massachusetts Avenue.

Parking Complaint

4:33 p.m.: One vehicle was issued a parking violation in Southwest Circle. Two vehicles moved along.

Suspicious Person/Activity

5:42 p.m.: Two parties were issued summonses for a minor in possession of drugs in Lot 32 E (south of Massachusetts Avenue). A small amount of marijuana was seized for destruction.

11:25 p.m.: A suspicious person or activity was investigated in Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

Liquor Law Violations

6:29 p.m.: A summons was issued to a party in Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

6:47 p.m.: Three parties were issued summonses in Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue). An officer temporarily seized two bags that were used to transport alcohol to the station. The bags were entered into property and placed in the front lobby. The owners were informed they could receive their bags.

7:52 p.m.: Three parties were found at Sunset Avenue. Alcohol was seized for destruction.

8:44 p.m.: Summonses were issued to four parties for liquor law violations in Lot 32 East (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

9:07 p.m.: A party was issued a summons for a liquor law violation in Lot 29C (across from Baker Hall) on Clark Hill Road.

9:15 p.m.: Two parties were issued summonses for liquor law violations at Lot 34 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

9:45 p.m.: Two parties were issued summonses at Lot 34 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue) and a small amount of marijuana was seized for destruction.

11:33 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene at Presidents Drive.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

8:33 p.m.: A party in a vehicle on lower Massachusetts Avenue had stopped to look for a cell phone. The party will be moving to a parking lot.

Alarm-(Prefire)

10:51 p.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at Prince Hall on Sunset Avenue. Firetruck 1 was notified.

Intoxicated Person

11:11 p.m.: A reporting party stated an intoxicated female party was alert and conscious at Brett Hall on Infirmary Way. The female intoxicated female party did not meet protective custody criteria.

11:31 p.m.: An intoxicated party in Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue) was placed in protective custody.

911 Hang-up Call 

11:59 p.m.: A help phone was activated at Lot 71 (west of Whitmore) on Massachusetts Avenue but no one would respond. No one was found in the area.

Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019

Assist Other Police Departments

12:07 a.m.: Officers assisted Hadley Police Department with a noise complaint on Stockbridge Street. Three hundred to 400 people were in the area. An additional officer was requested.

Alarm-(Prefire) 

12:08 a.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at Brown Hall on Eastman Lane. Firetruck 1 was notified.

12:36 p.m.: Firetruck 1 was notified of a pre-alarm that went off at Prince Hall on Sunset Avenue.

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:12 a.m.: A party in Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue) was advised to urinate somewhere else.

12:15 a.m.: A suspicious person was checked okay in Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

6:20 p.m.: A mother and father were picking up their daughter at Brown Hall in the Sylvan Residential Area who had fell. The mother is a physician and was checking on her daughter.

Intoxicated Person

12:21 a.m.: An intoxicated female party was unconscious and breathing at Thatcher Hall on Thatcher Road. Amherst Fire Department came to the scene and the party was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital.

7:57 p.m.: An individual was investigated after being intoxicated outside of Thoreau Residence Hall.

8:39 p.m.: An intoxicated person was removed from outside of the Whitmore Administration Building and transported to the hospital.

9:24 p.m.: An incident report was completed for an intoxicated person.

11:55 p.m.: A party on Eastman Lane was being assisted by friends who stated he had been drinking at Puffton Village. He showed signs of intoxication but did not meet the protective custody criteria. 

Liquor Law Violations

12:34 a.m.: A juvenile found outside the Isenberg School of Management on Presidents Drive was brought to the station. Pembroke Police Department was contacted for assistance in contacting the juvenile’s parents. The party was later released to his mother.

12:57 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene outside Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive.

10:58 a.m.: Seven parties were checked okay on Fearing Street. Another party checked okay after an alcohol check.

12:35 p.m.: A party was given an alcohol check on Fearing Street. No report was completed.

1:08 p.m.: An officer conducted an alcohol check on Fearing Street. Subject checked okay.

Traffic Stop

12:47 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without a license or registration by the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue.

12:59 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding at Patterson Hall on Fearing Street.

1:05 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Governors Drive.

1:11 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for driving with no headlights on Thatcher Road. A small amount of alcohol and marijuana were seized for destruction.

2:01 a.m.: A 20-year-old male from Pittsfield, Mass. was arrested for operating under the influence as well as a marked lanes violation, negligent operation of a motor vehicle and speeding by the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue. The operator had a blood alcohol concentration of .17. The operator’s car was towed by an Ernie’s tow truck.

10:43 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Commonwealth Avenue.

11:58 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning in Lot 42 (south of Boyden Gym) on Commonwealth Avenue.

12:30 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning at Haigis Mall on Presidents Drive.

5:50 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was heading southbound on Route 116. The Hadley Police Department issued a traffic citation issued.

7:47 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle near the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue for defective headlights.

9:06 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on North Hadley Road.

11:34 p.m.: A 24-year-old male from Ayer, Mass. was arrested on North Pleasant Street after he was observed tossing a beer out of the vehicle. The party was issued a citation for littering and traveling with an open container. A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on the scene before the officer found that the male had a warrant for his arrest.

Parking Complaint

1:47 a.m.: A reporting party stated there were no open parking spots at Patterson Hall on Sunset Avenue. A vehicle in the parking was towed by an Ernie’s tow truck. A voicemail was left to the owner.

8:03 a.m.: A reporting party stated there is a vehicle parked in a reserved Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps in Lot 42 (south of Boyden Gym) on Commonwealth Avenue. Attempts were made to contact the owner of the vehicle. The owner called back and is en route to move the vehicle.

9:36 a.m.: Thirteen parking tickets were issued to vehicles in Lot 42 (south of Boyden Gym) on Commonwealth Avenue.

11:23 a.m.: A reporting party stated there were no resident assistant spaces available for him at Lot 50G on Washington Road.

10:08 p.m.: The residential director states there was no spot in the parking lot outside of Washington Hall. A spot opened up shortly when Ernie’s towed a vehicle and he was able to park his Honda Accord.

10:49 p.m.: A residence director stated there were no open ResLife parking spaces in the parking lot outside of Washington Hall. He was waiting in his Honda Civic until Ernie’s arrived on the scene. 

Assist Citizen

1:57 a.m.: A reporting party at Pierpont Hall on Fearing Street stated her friend was last seen in the area of 394 North Pleasant St. and wandered off. The party sent a text at 12:16 a.m. stating he needs help. The party’s phone died. The party is a tall white male with very pale skin, brown hair, a black Nike sweatshirt and khaki shorts. An officer later located the party.

10:02 p.m.: A reporting party states she got into a fight with her mom and her mom is now coming back to campus to pick her up. The party states she doesn’t feel safe with her mom and would like to speak with an officer. The party at the UMPD station on East Pleasant Street said her mom was about 20 minutes away.

Assist Agency

3:41 a.m.: A residence director from Kennedy Hall on Massachusetts Avenue took a report of an incident that occurred in MacKimmie Hall.

7:11 a.m.: Police officers were present for the UMass vs. Coastal Carolina football game at the McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Stadium Drive. Nine parties were arrested. Three of the arrests were made to three 20-year-old male parties for possessing liquor under the age of 21.

Alarm – Fire; Supervisory

2:45 p.m.: UMass Environmental Health and Safety were notified of an accidental/defective alarm at Lincoln Apartment Building 9 on Lincoln Avenue.

Annoying Behavior

3:53 p.m.: A reporting party from MacKimmie Hall called and requested to speak to an officer about an incident that happened earlier in the morning.

Alarm – Fire Trouble

4:04 p.m.: F1 was notified for an accidental/defective alarm at the Lederle Graduate Tower on North Pleasant Street and the alarm was cleared.

9:15 p.m.: F1 was notified for an alarm in North Apartment Building C on Eastman Lane. The alarm was cleared.

Alarm – Fire

4:23 p.m.: An accidental/defective alarm sounded in Lincoln Apartments Building 10 on Lincoln Avenue. F1 and AFD were contacted and it was determined the alarm was from cooking smoke. There was no fire and the alarm was reset.

Lost/Found Property

4:00 a.m.: Lost keys were turned into the UMPD station on East Pleasant Street.

4:00 a.m.: A lost ID was turned into the UMPD station on East Pleasant Street.

4:54 p.m.: An EMS had found a license near McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Stadium Drive.

6:12 p.m.: A UMass EMS found a UCard near McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Stadium Drive. The EMS reports that this student was transported to the hospital earlier that day and the UCard was placed into lost and found, to be returned at a later date.

Traffic Enforcement

10:01 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a summons on Massachusetts Avenue by the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors. An Ernie’s tow truck was called. The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for improper display and an inspection violation.

5:39 p.m.: An arrest summons was issued to an individual on Massachusetts Avenue who stopped in the First Baptist Church parking lot. APD was notified because the driver had an expired license and was waiting for someone to take the vehicle.

Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019

Liquor Law Violation

12:15 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was dumped outside of Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive.

Suspicious Person/Activity

1:24 a.m.: An individual checked “okay” on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

Traffic Stop

1:36 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue for driving without headlights.

1:45 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for failure to stop on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

2:02 a.m.: An officer was out with a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue that appears to have something dragging from it. It was discovered the heat shield was dragging and the operator said the car will be parked until it can be fixed.

2:10 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue and Massachusetts Avenue for driving over the speed limit.

2:54 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle outside of Lewis Hall on Thatcher Road for driving without headlights.

3:56 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for failing to yield near Lot 61 (between Lederle Graduate Research Center and The Silvio O. Conte National Center for Polymer Research).

5:02 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a party for a crosswalk violation on University Drive.

10:22 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning at a stop sign on Chancellor Drive for operating without a license in their possession.

Assist Agency

2:25 a.m.: An officer states there was a fight in the back of Phi Sig. APD arrived on the scene and there was no active fight, but the two combatants were identified.

Alarm – Elevator

3:01 a.m.: Parties in John Quincy Adams Hall in the Southwest Residential Area were attempting to pry open the elevator door when they were stuck. AFD arrived on the scene and parties were “warned of the consequences.”

Intoxicated Person

3:06 a.m.: A reporting party stated that a possibly intoxicated white male party wearing a blue shirt, shorts and glasses was stumbling in Thatcher Road. An officer found the party was a non-student and was arranging to meet up with his party.

3:52 a.m.: An intoxicated male party stated he was locked out of his room outside of Thoreau Hall. The party was slurring his words and was incoherent at times. He said he lived in Wheeler Hall in the Central Residential Area and the officer said the party was sent on his way where an RA would assist him with the lockout.

Assist Citizen

3:58 a.m.: A reporting party stated her and a friend of hers went to a fraternity party that night and something (which is unknown at this time) happened to her friend. Walking back from the frat party, she was distressed, talking to herself and crying. Their knuckles were bloody and she may have been intoxicated. An incident report was completed and APD was notified.

3:58 a.m.: A reporting party, who was a non-student, was locked out of the room she was staying in at Prince Hall on Sunset Avenue. The party ended up staying in room 204.

2:02 p.m.: A female caller reported she hadn’t heard from her son for a day. She was unsure where he was living and said he did not have mental nor medical issues. An officer was able to find the student on Spire and found him in Brown Hall. The housing staff made contact with the party who said he would call his mom.

7:22 p.m.: A reporting party stated a vehicle almost hit him while he was walking in the crosswalk near Lot 42 (south of Boyden Gym) on Commonwealth Avenue. The incident happened five minutes before the call, but the reporting party did not like to speak with an officer at the time.

8:26 p.m.: A reporting party stated he last spoke with his daughter this morning via text, but her phone was in the fields north of North Apartment C on Eastman Lane. The reporting party connected with the RD on the call to check if the party was in her room and stated there was no medical nor mental health concerns.

11:37 p.m.: Three parties were in the lobby of the UMPD station on East Pleasant Street asking for assistance. They were not feeling safe walking around outside and currently felt safe in the lobby. They requested to speak with an officer in regard to events that have occurred in Amherst jurisdiction.

Accident – Leaving the Scene

9:24 a.m.: Damage was done to a vehicle in Lot 54 (top of the Southwest Circle) after parking in a handicap spot.

Alarm – Fire; Supervisory

9:31 a.m.: The alarm company stated they were receiving a suppression supervisory alarm and F1 was notified. F1 stated that the alarm was reset at 400 Venture Way and the problem was in room 211 due to air exchange (duct detector).

Animal Complaint

10:29 a.m.: A caller reported a red-tailed hawk was stuck in the glass hallway of the Marching Band Building on Grinnell Road. The Solution Center advised they would have someone go over and attempt to set the hawk free.

Traffic Enforcement

1:44 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was stopped on University Drive and was issued a verbal warning.

Parking Complaint

1:45 p.m.: There were no ResLife parking spaces available in Lot 50G near Washington Hall. Two parties arrived on the scene to move their vehicles and both were issued parking tickets.

6:59 p.m.: A reporting party states vehicles were parked in a reserved spot near the loading dock outside of Hampshire Dining Common. The vehicle owner was contacted and said they would move the vehicle.

Annoying Behavior

3:16 p.m.: An incident report was completed for an individual near Cashin Dorm on Eastman Lane.

Lost/Found Property

6:15 p.m.: A credit card was found on East Pleasant Street. The officer had called the credit card company and said the card had already been canceled and can be destroyed.

7:55 p.m.: A wallet was found near James Hall on Massachusetts Avenue. The owner was en route to the station and picked up the wallet.

Suspicious Vehicle

7:24 p.m.: An officer checked in with a vehicle on East Pleasant Street. The parties were working on a field project at Boyden Gym.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.