UMPD Logs: Friday, Jan. 24 – Sunday, Jan. 26

A package with a ‘suspicious odor’ was reported

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Jan. 24, 2020 to Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020.

Friday, Jan. 24, 2020

Traffic Stop

12:15 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a motor vehicle without a license and operating without headlights on Windmill Lane.

1:26 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a motor vehicle without a license or registration at the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:33 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a traffic citation on Commonwealth Avenue.

1:41 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield in Lot 33A on University Drive.

1:50 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating the wrong way on a one way on the intersection of North Thatcher Way and Eastman Lane.

2:21 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for travelling the wrong way on a one-way road at the Sunset bus stop on Massachusetts Avenue.

4:20 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a traffic warning for an offense that occurred on University Drive.

5:11 p.m.: An alcohol check was conducted on Russell Street in Hadley. A small amount of alcohol was seized for destruction.

5:38 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with a defective headlight on Lot 21 Access Road.

5:48 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on University Drive.

6:13 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with a defective headlight on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

8:07 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Massachusetts Avenue.

9:04 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with a defective headlight on University Drive.

9:15 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a traffic warning at the intersection of University Drive and Fearing Street.

11:48 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield at the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue.

Liquor Law Violations

12:19 a.m.: A party in Lot 32W on Massachusetts Avenue was issued a verbal warning for a liquor law violation, and a small amount of alcohol was dumped.

11:47 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene at Lot 32E on Massachusetts Avenue.

Intoxicated Person 

1:22 a.m.: A party on Clark Hill Road did not meet protective custody criteria.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

3:34 a.m.: Open circuit troubles were found in alarms at the Arnold House, Flint Laboratory and the Whitmore Administration Building. The issues were referred to the Physical Plant.

7:39 a.m.: Environmental Health and Safety was notified of an accidental or defective alarm at Washington Hall on Fearing Street. The alarm was cleared on its own.

12:57 p.m.: Fire Engine One was notified of an accidental or defective alarm at the Lederle Graduate Research Center tower on North Pleasant Street.

Suspicious Person/Activity

8:21 a.m.: The Physical Plant stated they received a report of some children ice skating on the pond. An officer spoke to the hockey player.

10:27 a.m.: An officer advised he received a call from Residential Life requesting assistance with a party in the lobby of John Adams Hall on Fearing Street.  Residential Life stated that a resident was being evicted but has until 1 p.m. to leave the building, and that they will call if they need further assistance.

Lost/Found Property 

10:05 a.m.: Lost keys were found and brought to the UMPD station on East Pleasant Street.

11:27 a.m.: A black backpack with a laptop and earring was found at Cance Hall on Fearing Street and was brought to the UMPD station.

1:32 p.m.: A set of keys was found outside Worcester Dining Commons and was turned into the desk at Crabtree Hall on Eastman Lane. The staff requested they keys be picked up and brought to the UMPD station.

4:06 p.m.: A reporting party found a credit card in Lot 12 (west of Lot 25) on Forestry Way. The card was brought to the UMPD station. The card was expired and was destroyed.

Alarm-Fire; Supervisory

11:00 a.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective supervisory alarm at Sycamore House in the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue.

Assist Agency

11:06 a.m.: Assistance was provided at Mount Holyoke College.

Parking Complaint

8:16 p.m.: One vehicle was moved, and one parking violation was issued at Southwest Circle.

Alarm-(Prefire)

11:22 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective pre-alarm at McNamara Hall on Eastman Lane.

Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:54 a.m.: A suspicious party was seen in Lot 32E on Massachusetts Avenue. The party was returning property she took.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

1:36 a.m.: A disabled vehicle was located by the Fine Arts Center on North Pleasant Street. The vehicle had a flat tire and was  moved out of traffic. The registered operator had a tow truck en route.

Suspicious Vehicle 

1:54 a.m.: A suspicious vehicle in Lot 32W on Massachusetts Avenue was cleared.

Larceny 

10:53 a.m.: CopLogic reported of a wallet stolen on Jan 21. from an unlocked locker at the Recreation Center on Commonwealth Avenue on. The wallet was described as brown and containing a credit card, UCard and $150. An incident report was completed.

Alarm-(Prefire)

4:24 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective pre-alarm at North Residential Building C on Eastman Lane. The alarm was reset.

10:30 p.m.: F1 was notified of a pre-fire alarm in Price Hall on Sunset Avenue. 

Accident-Leaving the Scene

4:29 p.m.: An accident occurred in Lot 25 North on Commonwealth Avenue. There was damage to the rear of the vehicle. An incident report was completed.

5:15 p.m.: A reporting party stated while on Commonwealth Avenue, a vehicle struck her car. The reporting party stated both vehicles slowed but neither stopped. She noticed damage to her vehicles front-left rim, and she stated the incident happened between 4:40 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. An officer stated a vehicle merging into the reporting party’s lane caused the reporting party to swerve and strike the curb, which damaged her vehicle. The vehicles did not make contact.

5:58 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective fire trouble alarm that went off at Birch House in the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue. The alarm was cleared on its own.

Vandalism/Bias Related

3:01 p.m.: An officer was notified that a flyer advertising a study-abroad program in Ghana had the “n-word” written on it. An incident report was completed.

Suspicious Object

3:58 p.m.: A reporting party at Dickinson Hall on Orchard Hill Drive stated there was a package with a suspicious odor in the mail room. An officer collected the package and brought it to the UMPD station. The involved party was contacted and en route to the station to speak about the matter. An incident report was completed. 

Alarm – Fire

6:04 p.m.: F1 and the Amherst Fire Department were summoned to Maple House in the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue for an accidental/defective alarm. It was determined the cause of triggered alarm was cooking smoke.

Parking Complaint

6:30 a.m.: A reporting party stated there were no Residential Life spots in Lot 50F (west of Patterson Hall, south of John Adams Hall) on John Adams Road. An Ernie’s Towing tow truck was contacted and en route, and a message was left for the registered operator of the vehicle. The owner came on the scene, and the tow truck was cancelled. The owner moved the vehicle.

3:59 p.m.: An officer stated there was a vehicle parked in a fire lane that was blocking his vehicle in Lot 39 on Commonwealth Avenue. Contact was made with the party who will move the vehicle.

6:16 p.m.: A reporting party stated no ResLife parking spaces were available in Lot 50 on Hampshire DC Road. A vehicle was moved.

6:45 p.m.: A reporting party stated several handicap parking spaces were taken in Lot 54 in the Southwest Circle, but the vehicles did not have tags. The party said they were double parked and waiting for a spot, however, no parties were waiting for spots upon arrival and all the vehicle in spots have placards.

Traffic Stop

12:04 a.m.: Amherst Police Department was notified of a stop that occurred on North Pleasant Street in Amherst. The operator was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights.

12:13 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights at the intersection of Thatcher Road and Clark Hill Road.

12:29 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a one-way violation on Southwest Circle.

1:48 a.m.: A vehicle had pulled up onto the sidewalk near the Physical Sciences Building on North Pleasant Street. The operator stated they had stopped in an attempt to make contact with a friend walking nearby. The operator was advised to use better judgement.

2:26 a.m.:  The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Fearing Street.

2:45 a.m.: Field Sobriety Tests were issued during a traffic stop on the intersection of Sunset Avenue and Fearing Street. A traffic citation was issued.

3:23 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a one-way violation on Sylvan Drive.

12:54 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Commonwealth Avenue.

7:38 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue by Lot 71 for defective headlights.

8:35 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue for an offense involving a stop sign on University Drive.

11:26 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on North Pleasant Street and Massachusetts Avenue for not having their license on them and operating without headlights.

11:36 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a citation warning for driving in marked lanes on Eastman Lane.

11:43 p.m.: The Amherst Police Department was advised of an operator who received a verbal warning for defective equipment on North Pleasant Street.

11:57 p.m.: A vehicle was stopped in the travel lane on Massachusetts Avenue. The operator stated that he was waiting to pick up a fare and he was advised to stop blocking traffic.

Intoxicated Person

7:50 p.m.: A reporting party states an intoxicated white female was conscious, but not very alert in the Campus Center Hotel lobby. She was described to be in her late 50s or early 60s, was wearing black shoes and a blue jacket and had a crutch. The security was with the party on Campus Center Way, as she was a guest of the hotel. She did not meet the protective custody criteria and was escorted back to her room.

Lost/Found Property

10:09 p.m.: A cadet found a credit card in John Quincy Adams Hall in Fearing Street, which was brought to the UMPD station.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

10:20 p.m.: F1 was notified of a sounding alarm at the Isenberg School of Management on Presidents Drive.

10:21 p.m.: F1 was notified of “fire trouble” at the Rand Theatre in the Fine Arts Center on Presidents Drive.

Open Window/Door

11:38 p.m.: The north side door of Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive was open. The door was able to close but was not secure. The physical plant was made aware of the unlocked door.

Liquor Law Violations

11:40 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on the scene on Sunset Avenue and a verbal warning was issued for procuring.

Sunday, Jan. 26. 2020

Traffic Stop

12:02 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Thatcher Road for driving without headlights.

12:08 a.m.: An operator was issued a citation warning for failure to stop near Lot 22 on University Drive.

12:33 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Stockbridge Road for speeding.

1:17 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a traffic citation for cell phone use and an expired inspection.

1:125 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Windmill Lane for marked lanes.

2:28 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a taillight issue on University Drive.

2:40 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on the lower part of Massachusetts Avenue for operating without headlights.

3:48 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle by Lewis Hall on Thatcher Road for speeding and defective equipment.

4:34 p.m.: An expired temporary New Jersey license plate were on a vehicle so the operator was issued a traffic citation.

6:22 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue was issued a verbal warning for speeding.

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:06 a.m.: A person on Clark Hill Road near Thatcher “checked ok.”

12:18 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was dumped on the scene on Presidents Drive and Massachusetts Avenue.

1:28 a.m.: An officer was out with two intoxicated parties on Fearing Street and Sunset Avenue, but they did not meet the protective custody criteria.

2:17 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on the scene near Lot 50G on Washington Road by Cance Hall.

2:54 a.m.: A party was walking down the center of North Pleasant Street by Morrill but did not meet the protective custody criteria. They were advised to stay out of the roadway.

3:02 a.m.: A party was stumbling on the sidewalk near Hasbrouck Laboratory on North Pleasant Street but did not meet the protective custody criteria.

4:29 a.m.: A reporting party from a transfer call from the state police reported a white male wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt was following him outside of Worcester Dining Common. The reporting party stated the male said he was “going to kill him” and left the area. The reporting party then hung up. The state police were able to provide a call back number to UMPD, however, the reporting party missed all three calls. No parties were found on arrival.

Intoxicated Person

12:41 a.m.: A party near Lot 32 E (south of Massachusetts Avenue) was intoxicated but did not meet the protective custody criteria.

12:48 a.m.: Six parties were removed from Lot 11 on Stadium Drive and an officer was checking the area for damage.

911 Hang-Up Call

1:55 a.m.: Voices were heard from the emergency phone near Garber Field, but no one was on the phone. Operators could not tell if the voices were in distress, but no one was in the area upon police arrival. No indication of any disturbance was found.

1:58 a.m.: The help phone in the Southwest Tunnel was activated and a female voice could be heard in the background. No one responded and the area was clear upon time of police arrival.

4:20 p.m.: One party was trapped in elevator three on the 15th floor of the W.E.B Du Bois Library. APD, F1, the physical plant and the library were notified. F1 stated the estimated time for the release was one hour and library employees were standing by. The parties were released from the elevator.

4:44 p.m.: Nothing was found at the scene of a hang up of the help phone near the Southwest Tunnel.

5:20 p.m.: Nothing was heard in the background of a hang up of the help phone near the Recreation Center on Commonwealth Avenue. No one was in the area or in need of assistance upon police arrival.

5:49 p.m.: A second call came from the help phone near Garber Field.

Suspicious Vehicle

2:48 a.m.: A party in Lot 50G on Washington Road “checked ok.”

Assist Citizen

3:08 a.m.: Five parties called in stating that they did not feel safe walking from the Southwest Tunnel back to their residence in Central. An officer escorted the parties to Van Meter Hall.

Open Window/Door

4:37 a.m.: A door was left open to the UPub in Blue Wall.

Parking Complaint

1:55 p.m.: A residence director stated there were no ResLife parking spaces available in Lot 50G on Washington Road. They called back later and stated a vehicle was moved.

5:17 p.m.: A reporting party requested parking tickets be left on a vehicle without a permit in a ResLife parking spot in Lot 63 on Thatcher Road.

5:28 p.m.: Two parking tickets were issued to vehicles not within marked lines in Lot 64 on Hicks Way.

Larceny

2:51 p.m.: A CopLogic report states a backpack/laptop was stolen from Franklin Dining Common on Jan. 22. The Dell Inspiron was valued at around $1,400 and the party can provide a serial number for the computer. An incident report was completed.

Lost/Found Property 

4:57 p.m.: A license was found in the U.S. postal mailbox of Cashin Hall in the Sylvan Residential Area and was given to the service desk.

5:56 p.m.: A gold watch with a square face was stolen during an event in the Integrative Learning Center the previous day. An officer reviewed the security camera footage but did not see anything. The reporting party was contacted but did not answer.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

6:37 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental/defective alarm in the Lederle Graduate Research Center on North Pleasant Street. The trouble was cleared before F1 arrived.

Alarm – (Prefire)

8:26 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental/defective alarm in Cance Hall in the Southwest Residential Area. The alarm was reset. It was unknown was triggered the activation.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.