Minutewomen head to Boston to take on BU

After suffering a pair of tough losses to ranked teams last weekend at the Wake Forest Tournament, the  Massachusetts women’s soccer team heads to Boston Friday night to play Boston University Friday night.

This weekend’s affair with the Terriers will give the Minutewomen (2-4) an opportunity to improve team confidence after facing tough competition early on.

UMass has already faced three teams in the Top 25 so far, and BU (3-4) is a team that was on the brink of breaking into the rankings at the beginning of the year.

But after dropping each of its last two games at the Stanford Nike Invitational Tournament in California last weekend, BU’s chances of cracking the Top 25 anytime soon have likely diminished.

The Minutewomen are certainly having trouble scoring goals recently as they have  been held scoreless for the past three games.

UMass has also been lacking behind its opponents in shot attempts, being outdone by its opponents, 136 to 51.

The Minutewomen will also have to maintain the experienced Terriers, including senior Brea Hewitt and juniors Madison Clemens and Emma Clark. All three teammates have two goals and at least 13 shot attempts.

To combat the BU offensive threats, UMass will rely on Moa Mattson, who has three goals on 13 shot attempts. Forward Tori Sousa has been held scoreless so far despite a strong freshman season last year.

Terriers’ goalkeeper junior Andrea Green will also present a challenge, since she’s more than just a typical goalkeeper. Green has a 1.09 goals-against average in her eight games, and she’s saved more than 82 percent of shots taken against her.

Kickoff from Nickerson field Friday night is at 7 p.m.

Chris Corso can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Corso.