Two college-aged men arrested off campus after Super Bowl LIII

APD and AFD responded to a fire at the Townehouses

(Abigail Charpentier/Daily Collegian)

(Abigail Charpentier/Daily Collegian)

(Abigail Charpentier/Daily Collegian)

(Abigail Charpentier/Daily Collegian)

Two college-aged males were arrested at the Townhouses after authorities responded to a couch fire related to celebrations following Super Bowl LIII.

The Amherst Police Department responded to 50 Meadow St. at 10:23 p.m. to a blaze located in the complex’s east quad. Officers initially called off a prior request for assistance from the Amherst Fire Department as two officers attempted to control the flames using separate fire extinguishers.

After police determined they were unable to control the fire, AFD was re-requested for assistance and the burning couch was put out by firefighters. Though most participants cleared the area as officers arrives, two people were placed under arrest.

Michael Calnan, 20, of Amherst, was arrested for disorderly conduct and assault and battery on ambulance personnel and John Flynn, 20, of Braintree, was arrested for disorderly conduct at 10:32 p.m. on Sunday, according to Detective Sergeant Brian Daly.

As residents of the Townhouses celebrated a 13-3 victory by the New England Patriots over the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII, so did around 3,000 University of Massachusetts students in Southwest Residential Area at the same time.

There were no arrests in Southwest, though University of Massachusetts Police reported one head and two hand injuries sustained during the gathering.

Michael Connors can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter @mikepconnors. Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter at @hayleyk_johnson.